Re: (ET) salvage & swap meets & Bill Gunn

Hi all,
I guess what everyone is heading toward is:
This group would not exist if not for the internet, and Bill Gunn, and each
other -  collecting machines & parts & trying repairs, and upgrades, and
using the machines.

So:
1) Data base (online/internet accessible) is required.
2) Should have a core of Bill Gunn's new OEM/ NOS parts.
3) Should have additional core of refurbished parts.
4) should list substitutions & cross reference
5) should allow - maybe through Bill - adding lists of individual owners
parts.
6) maybe we just pay an annual fee to support the creation/maintenance of
the database (and get access to used parts list)
7) maybe a small percentage of any transaction goes to Bill or caretaker of
list
8) creating it would be a huge amount of work for one person.
9) I don't know how computer literate Bill is.
10) Getting Bill's opinion would be great
11) having the big data base allows us all to figure out what NO-ONE has,
and possibly join forces to have a batch run of needed parts made !
12) having a supply mix of new and used parts should broaden the variety of
supply - types of things available, as well as lowering an owners overall
cost, thereby possibly as Steve just suggested - allowing more people to
own
& maintain these machines themselves.
13) having all this grouped somehow with this email list would help new
owners find all the info in one place (think of a lighthouse & beacon !)

As I mentioned before, I have most of enough machines that 3 additional
owners could have working tractors for relatively low money (though varying
degrees of effort).  I want to use the equipment a little more, and
maintain
a little less - partly by focusing all maintenance/repair/upgrade effort on
one unit.

If it is the same for many others on this list, enough units might be made
functional to run in parades, and be seen doing routine work (as opposed to
hiding in garages), and maybe help the industry continue.