Re: (ET) New Electrics

On 20 Feb 2004 at 20:10, Dave Fancher wrote:

> When they build EV's that looked and
> performed like modern cars they started to succeed i.e. -- the six
> month plus wait list for a Toyota. Honda is taking the same approach.

But - forgive me for popping this balloon in your bundle - these are not
EVs.
They are gasoline-powered cars that happen to use electricity for some
part of
the drive system - for energy recovery during braking and/or as an
electric
supercharger.

As their ads point out, you never (have to) plug them in.  All the energy
comes from gasoline.  They are not EVs.  They are not even really hybrids,
though they call themselves that.

The reason they've succeeded is just as you say: they "perform like modern
cars."  At the user level, they work almost exactly like the gas cars that
consumers are familiar with, including (and particularly) the fuel they
use.
Even better, they use less of that fuel.  For Jane Doe, what's not to like?

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.

                               -- Johnny Hart