RE: (ET) Re: new electrics for a mower

AC motors and controls were always attractive since
they don't require brush replacement (hence the motors
can be placed anywhere, buried).  They also offer easy
regen capability without contactors or extra silicon.
They also eliminate all of the contactors except a
main
line contactor for safety.  The draw back has always
been the cost of semiconductors since you need six
times the number of switches (6 for a 3 phase motor
compared to one low side switch for a series motor).
Mosfet's have advanced considerably in the past 15
years and offer a system trade off cost that is
attractive.  Regen is very important on a forklift
that
spends considerable time reversing.  This is also
important on the lift system since regen can be used
to recapture energy as the load is lowered (instead of
using wastefull hydrolic valves that dissipate the
energy as heat.)  DSP's and microcontrollers tailored
for AC inverters are common place and innexpensive
(not
the case 15 years ago where a complex analog system
would be required).
All of these advantages can be applied to a new and
improved Elec Trak.
Also, the manufacturing cost of an AC induction motor
is inherintley cheaper than a brush motor.  The only
thing that will wear out on these motors is the
bearings, which should outlive the forklift.
If a good battery balancing system is used on an
electric mower, charging should be a no brainer, no
maintanence item.  I think an EV mowor is truely
cheaper to produce than an ICE version if quantities
are high enough.
I don't think a die hard ICE racer would prefer a loud
and smelly mower compared to an EV if the price was
right.
I just wish this country was more committed to
creating
alternatives like this to reduce pollution when the
outcome is more desirable to the average consumer.
Rod.

=== message truncated ===