(ET) Re: Polychain timing belts, V belts, and PolyVee belts

The Gates PolyChain is a special version of a timing belt:
http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=919&location_id=742

The PolyChain is a high power capable belt due to its higher strength as
compared to standard timing belts, and was designed to compete with chain.
Timing belts can range from 92-95% efficiency.

Goodyear and others make a PolyVee belt, also 92-95% efficient:
http://www.engineheat.co.za/comp-polyvee-belts.php

You use a timing belt when driven items must be sychronized.  You use a V
belt, including the PolyVee belt, whendriven items do not need to be
sychronized.  Timing belts are almost always noisier than V belts
delivering
the same power.

The V belts, including the PolyVee belts, have the additional advantage
that
if it sees too high of a load it can slip.  Sure the belt does suffer high
wear when it happens, but usually the driver or the driven is spared
damage.

A timing belt can will deliver a lot of power when overloaded.  Frequently
the driver or driven is damaged along with the timing belt.

Steve Naugler
snaugler earthlink net