-----Original Message-----
From: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu
[mailto:elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu] On Behalf Of David Roden
(Akron OH USA)
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 10:31 AM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) batteries and charging

On 12 Feb 2004 at 7:08, jim donovan wrote:

>  it is my
> understanding that the charger that is on the
> elec-traks has an output that best serves the flooded
> batteries.  Is that correct?

"Best serves" doesn't quite say it.  The GE charger will murder your
expensive
VRR batteries in a few months.

> What do you sealed/gel
> type guys use to charge your pack?

I use three 12 volt automatic (cycle-dropping type) chargers.  If I had 6
volt
modules instead of 12 volt, I might go to six 6-volt chargers.

You really need to charge at the module level unless you get rid of the
battery taps for the lift and lights.  The taps unbalance the pack
something

awful.  The GE charger deals with that by overcharging between one and
four
other batteries, in order to make sure the lift and/or light batteries have
full charge.  VRR batteries just can't take that amount of overcharge.
(It's
not really good for flooded batteries either, but they're sturdier in this
regard.)

One of my long-term aims is to replace those battery taps with a DC:DC
converter.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
    Advertising (n): the science of arresting the human
    intelligence for long enough to get money from it.

                      -- Stephen Leacock