Re: (ET) DCP/Alltrax; Fw: death of a DCP raptor

Well now that everyone on this list knows of my misadventures...
I'm guessing it was more than just simple overload. So not just needing more overhead. I was only at about half the current the thing should handle, and I've pushed it hard in other ways before with no problem. (like hauling sand and gravel last spring). Since it failed *after* I let up at the top of the hill and started coasting down the other side, I'm thinking something more complicated was going on.

As for the ET controller... the irony is I had just called to order one a couple of days before calling to report my dead Raptor. This has all lead to something a a mind shift that early on I will test out the limits. ie set up the ET and try and tow a tree or push a concrete wall or go uphill in DD or otherwise see what it does with large loads. Then go a use it in a rain storm. On a super hot day. And so on. Assuming they still sell me the controllers after saying that publicly :-)

And for comparison, I was playing with 60+ KW of power in the truck... the ET will be more like 10 KW max. So a bit easier to keep a handle on the behavior.

Christopher Meier wrote:
FYI, for those of us considering the Alltrax Elec-trak controller...

Guess we ought to ask how much 'overhead' is built into the Elec-trak
version compared to the Raptor. I'd like to be able to push it to nameplate ratings whenever I want or need; and the controller should
stay below it's programmed limits so that the 'overhead' isn't used up.
I don't want to be replacing controllers in my Elec-trak every so often.

_________
Jim Coate
1970's Elec-Trak
1992 Chevy S-10 BEV