Re: (ET) plow vs thrower

Good topic.

Here's my experience:

Last year I used the blower only and it worked great. But we had unusual,
light, powdery, deep snow for the most part. I also have a gravel road. I
experienced very little gravel being thrown ( but it does happen, so
beware!). I only had clogs when I tried to blow stuff that was melting and
very wet and heavy.

This year I brought out the blower again at first snow, which was about 8"
and on the wet side (good for snowmen and snowballs). It threw ok, but I
was
kicking up a lot of gravel. I threw the chain twice - I think gravel got
caught between chain and sprocket - never happened last year.

I had used the blade once before to try to push some gravel around but I
only spun wheels (pre-chain and pre-weight) so I thought it was pretty
useless, but I decided with the chains and weights it would work better. It
did. I was pushing mounds of snow as big as the tractor at times. After the
snow left, and temperatures warmed up, I went back and pushed the errent
gravel back into the driveway (the blade had moved some gravel off to the
ditches).

Lessons learned:

1. I think the blower excels when the snow is deep and powdery. I don't
know
what the blade would do.
2. The blower makes a nice clean path (small deal)
3. The blade is great at wet stuff.
4. I think last year my drive was graded better which is why I didn't throw
as much gravel then. You can't have much loose gravel and the blower must
be
set on the highest skid setting. It's still a potentially dangerous thing.
5. The 2-link chains are much better than 4-link which are much much much
better than nothing.
6. Rear weight is a big help.
7. The tractor with blade manuevers much better than with blower.
8. The tractor with blade has a significantly longer run time than with
blower (duh)
9. I worry more with the blower (big rotating parts, current draw, gravel,
etc)
10. They are both fun!

- SteveS
E20