Re: (ET) corded blowers

Hi Neil,

the radiator fan motors are typically rated at 200-300 watts, not
especially
torquy, so I expect they won't have the oomph I'm looking for.  I was
considering a
surplus furnace fan motor 2/3 hp as a corded version, but again, I doubt
it has the
power to get the job done.

Something like a 240-volt AC air compressor motor would probably have the
torque
and power to do the job, though the cording would probably become
cumbersome.  My
mom does have a welder plug in the garage (from my days there), so access
would not
be a problem.

I have seen a Toro unit advertised as being able to handle up to 10 inches
of snow.
That would be a big advance over the Sunbeams I had some experience with
in the
past, where 3 inches was pretty much the limit to effective operation.

Having weaned my mother off gas mowers, she has become a real advocate of
corded
electric mowers, and that has saved me a lot of maintenance trips.  I'd
like to
accomplish the same with an electric snowblower.  It doesn't have to
handle
blizzards (the neighbours with their 10 hp gas blower can deal with that a
couple
of times a season), but does have to deal with the mound of snow left at
the end of
the driveway by the roadplow.

Corded has the attraction that I would not have to rely on her remembering
charge batteries.

Hmmmm, maybe an E10 with a 36-inch blower...ah well, it's nice to dream.
Or a JD
E90 with some kind of custom front-end - like two of those Toro corded
units side-
by-side with a 36-volt DC motor driving them.  Sorry, gotta get back to
reality.

Darryl McMahon