Re: (ET) Ralph's LEDs

Interesting about how the incandescent's heat had been useful!

Looks like that isn't the only drawback of trying to go high tech: All the way at the end of superbrightleds.com's listing they offer a "loading resistor" to suck the power that incandescent bulbs would have!  It sounded like some automotive systems, maybe like blinkers, can't deal with the low current draw of the LED replacements.

>>> "T Humphrey" <thumphrey mynra com> 11/24/2003 10:34:11 AM >>>
Yeah those LED traffic light are catching on big time in NY too!

Generally I like them, they have lots of advantages over the old
incandescants. However they also have one MAJOR disadvantage, they
are cool-running. Recently we had a snowstorm. Being early in the
season it was a nasty wet snow and the winds were particularly
brutal during this storm also. Well anyway the storm blew the snow
straight onto the signal lights were it froze into a solid chunk
of ice. The old incandescents made quick work of this ice melting
off with all of there usually waste heat, but the LED's just sat
there, completely obscured. Too make matters worse, the following
morning was a cold, cold high pressure system, resulting in
blinding bright sunshine, making the LED signals even harder too
see. Not suprisingly, many fender benders occurred. Granted this
doesn't occur very often, but when it does it's nasty.

Unfortunately?, it wasn't enough snow to use the new thrower I got
from Jon K.

Thanks, Jon

Stay Charged!
Hump

William
>Korthof
>Subject: Re: (ET) Ralph's LEDs
>

>    I have no scientific evidence to back up  the idea of whether
or not LED
>signaling devices use PWM power technology. What I can tell you
is that here
>in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, LED signaling is taking
root. All new
>installs are of that variety, and most PennDot owned fixtures are
being
>updated.
>     I have noticed a perceptible flicker, in some units. I am
blessed with
>what computer geeks call 'Fast Eyes'. I have to have a refresh
rate of 75Hz.
>or higher on my monitor, or I can't stand to be in front of it .
So, that
>being the case, if there is a flicker there, indicating PWM
operation, I'm
>the person that would be likely to see it.
>    The signals I have noticed flicker on also appear to have a
higher
>number of dead elements in the arrays.  Your thoughts ?

constant
>> current supply (with varying effectiveness). Where did you get
the
>> information that a pulsed power supply is common?
>>
>> /wk
>>
>> At 09:53 AM 11/22/2003, David Roden (Akron OH USA) wrote:
>> >I recently read something fascinating about LEDs.  Have you
noticed
>> >how intense the new LED traffic signals appear?  (At night
some are
>> >so bright that the green ones actually are almost painful to
view.)

>> >This is how it's done.  The LEDs are driven by a pulsed
waveform.
>> >The on current is TEN TIMES their rating, but the duty cycle
is only
>> >10% - that
>is,
>> >on (for example) on 1 picosecond, off 9 picoseconds, repeat.
Thanks
>> >to persistence of vision, the human eye sees the peak
intensity as
>continuous
>> >high intensity; but the LED "feels" the average current, which
is
>> >just
>its
>> >normal rated current.
>> >
>> >I'm sure the same thing could be done with automotive signals
(if it
>isn't
>> >already).
>> >
>> >Clever, no?
>> >

>> >David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
>> >1991 Solectria Force 144vac
>> >1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
>> >1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
>> >1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
= = = =
>> >Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in
humanity.  It