From: Jeremy Gagliardi com [mailto:Jeremy Gagliardi com]
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 3:43 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Electric OX

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:49:19 EDT, "FixItUp" wrote:
>  Hi All
> I agree,the Electric OX seems like a very nice machine.Several years ago
had
> several conversations with the head honcho at the Electric Tractor Corp.
> regarding the possible purchase of an Electric OX and/or a dealership.
> The
only
> drawback was the fact that there is no dealer in the US close enough to
demo a
> tractor and I think that you need to buy quite a few tractors to even get
> started on a dealership.
>  The idea still appeals to me,but I am afraid I would have quite a chore
selling
> them. Anybody want one?

I tend to think unless a major home improvement center or other store that
sells
tractors by the truckload picks it up, it ain't gonna sell here.  Based on
everyone I've talked to locally, everyone wants to go to a Home Depot or
Lowes
to shop for and buy a tractor (and they want to pay $1K-2K).  The masses
aren't
interested in going to a specialty store or catalogue to find a good
tractor.
Also, the store that stocks the tractor has to stand by it and the salesmen
have
to believe in it, otherwise they'll poo-poo it every time they talk to a
potential customer (salesmen do this all the time).  Also, I tend to think
an
existing major manufacturer of tractors has to make their own version, so
they
can sell to the die-hard, brand-loyal customers of John Deere, etc.,
otherwise
those customers won't even look at it.

All of this is why the ox is a specialty item, and not sold mainstream.

--
Bethesda, Md
E20

 mailto:Jeremy Gagliardi com