Re: (ET) I test drove an Electric OX yesterday

One thing I was surprised at was why they went with the 8 volt batteries.
Gives you less options since they're not as common as 6 or 12 volt.

Hello Dennis and Group,
  Actually 8 volt batteries are the more commonly used battery in golf cars
now days than the old 6 volt batteries. The advantages of the 8 battery is
to up the voltage and speed without increasing vehicle weight and amperage.
Most golf car companies switched over to the 48 volt system using six 8
volt
batteries and a Sep-Excited motor around 1995 which also incoporated
regenative braking using a GE or Curtis controller. That 48 volt system was
an updated system over the old 36 volt Curtis controllers that used series
wound motors. Before  Curtis controllers came out on the markrt Golf cars
were still using the coil resistors.
   Three 8 volt batteries connected together will give you 24 volts to run
power inverter or for a 24 volt solar system. You should be able to find
used 8 volts at your local battery dealer or golf car dealer.
  Hope this helps ,
      Eric Miller