From: Elie, Larry (L.D.) [mailto:lelie ford com]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 10:01 AM
To: 'Christopher Meier'; elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: RE: (ET) Mower blade speed

You slipped a decimal somewhere.

The speed at the tip distance divided by time.  At 3600 RPM and 24" dia (to make it even, 2' dia and 1' radius) you get 3.14159 * 1' or
3.14159' per revolution *2 for the circumference.  3600 revolutions per minute is 21,600 revolutions per hour * 2* 3.14199' per revolution is
1357166' per hour.  There are 5,280' per mile, so 135,7166/5280= 257 miles per hour.  If you take a different diameter or RPM you will get a proportionally different speed.

With 29" and 7000 RPM I get 29" / (12"/ft) * 3.14159 *7000 (RPM) *60 (Minutes/hour) /5280 (feet/mile)= 603 MPH .... REAL FAST, the speed
of sound is about 720 MPH at sea level and 70 deg. F!

BTW, as an ex-pilot, tip speeds on a 72-84" dia prop (small plane) start going supersonic at about 2800 RPM depending on altitude (the
speed of sound drops with altitude).  Nobody wants a mower turning THAT fast!

Larry Elie