Re: (ET) E12S and a curtis controller??

On 25 Jun 2003 at 19:08, Steve Richardson wrote:

> A series controller
> cannot be used on a shunt wound motor ...

Although it's not an ideal situation, a series type controller ^can^ be
used
with a shunt or sepex motor, provided the concern below is addressed AND a
source of power is provided for the field.  I quote from a Curtis manual
for an older model PMC-25 controller:

"The PMC does not provide current for separately excited fields such as
those found in shunt and compound motors, and may be considered as being
designed for series wound motors.  However, the controller may be used
with
shunt and compound motors if a separate source of field current is
provided.
 For motors with shunt fields wound for full battery voltage, the shunt
field may be connected across the entire battery pack via a contactor.  In
such installations a freewheeling diode should be installed across the
field
to prevent arcing across the contactor as it opens.  For motors with field
wound for less than full battery voltage, or in cases where field control
is
desired, either a separate transistor field controller is required, or the
field may be connected to various taps off of the main battery pack."

> A series controller can be used on PM motor though because it looks
> like a series motor to the controller.

Yes, but be careful!  The series field adds a significant amount of
inductance to the series motor.  Depending on controller design, that
inductance may be essential to the proper operation of the controller's
current limit circuit.  When such a controller is used with a PM, shunt,
or
sepex motor, excessively low circuit inductance can cause abrupt, jerky
starts and/or accidental overloading and destruction of the controller's
power semiconductors.

This has been a problem with Curtis controllers in the past in some
applications; I don't know about ETs though.  I couldn't say whether the
rather small series field in our motors has enough inductance.  I wouldn't
want to assume that it does.

Very often a controller intended for a series motor will need a large
supplemental inductor in series with the motor when it is used with a PM,
shunt, sep-ex, or even a compound motor.  Quoting again from the Curtis
manual: "When a series winding is not provided in the motor, such as in a
pure shunt motor, an inductor must be added in series with the armature in
order to provide the inductance which would normally be supplied by the
series winding."

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all

thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.

Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion

Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
                                -- Harper's Index, April 2002