Re: (ET) Still working on my ET problems

At 01:55 PM 6/4/03 , Roy Vanderhoef wrote:

and what looks like a black capacitor.

This is probably the surge suppressor (VR-1). On the 15, I think, it is across the field of the drive motor (wires 10 and 44), and makes a good place to measure field voltage. Wires 6 and 11 provide + / - 36 volts to the REV relay, and the relay applies it one way or the other to the field.

It sounds like you have no field current in reverse. Since you have it in forward, the most likely cause is the relay. When you manually actuate the relay (with the power off) you should see the top leafs move a little as the middle ones move down, then see the bottom ones move a little when the middle ones get to them. This action causes a wiping effect and is intended to keep pressure on the electrical contact, and also keep the contacts clean. If not, you can carefully push near the attachment end to make it so. The contacts are silver, so shouldn't be filed but pulling a post-card thickness paper through might make the contact more reliable.

Paul and Sue Abendroth
pabendro gemair com
our permanent address is pabendroth dma org