(ET) Gator Blades & Ryobi Lawnmowers

Hey ET Folks,

All this talk about Gator blades and group buys concerns me.  In the past a few people on this list tried fitting mulching blades to the ET deck.  In every case they found that there was not enough power and the motors tripped their circuit breakers on high current.  Remember that the GE ETs were designed long before the advent of mulching mowers, mulching takes considerably more power than plain mowing, so GE would have no reason to size their deck motors for mulching.  I cannot think of any reason why Gator "mulching" blades would draw significantly lower power than mulching blades tried in the past.

So before we go doing group buys some one person ought to try a set.  I would dearly love for my E15 to have mulching capability I would bet on there not being enough motor to mulch.  But to maximize the chance of success one might try using the larger diameter mower deck motors.  The 3.25 inch motors, per Bill Gunn, are not as powerful as the larger deck motors.

Lastly, I am jealous.  I wish I could find a repairable cordless push mower here in Delaware.  The only ones I've found were too close to their new prices or were in Michigan.  So I trim with a gas mower and use the E15 for the major part of the lawn.

Steve Naugler
snaugler earthlink net