[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: (ET) brake upgrade
- Subject: Re: (ET) brake upgrade
- From: Jim Coate <jbc coate org>
- Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 10:07:07 -0400
- Delivery-date: Sun, 11 May 2003 10:09:50 -0400
- Envelope-to: elec-trak-outgoing cosmos phy tufts edu
- References: <E19DmJY-0003nb-OS cosmos phy tufts edu>
- Reply-to: jbc coate org
- Sender: owner-elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0
I've done two brake replacements and each had its moments. The first
time around the old hub came off without too much of a fight, but the
pin in the pedal was something of a pain so I decided to drill it out
and I ended up breaking off a (regular) drill bit halfway through and
then having to use another (carbide) bit to drill out the first one.
The second time around the hub resisted all amounts of heat & a large
puller. But a cut-off wheel in an angle grinder won that battle.
And... this time around the pin in pedal was easy to drive, but I too
discovered that it would hit the foot rest. With the cut-off
wheel/grinder handy I realized I could drive the pin out a bit, cut some
off the protruding end, and repeat until the pin was gone.
My local hardware store conveniently sells both spring pins and woodruff
keys of the needed sizes.
Ken Olum wrote:
I upgraded the brake on my E-15 with the kit from Bill Gunn. It works
great now, but there were a few detours along the way, so here's some
information for others doing the same. Maybe some info about brake
replacement should be added to the FAQ on Elec-trak.org (which seems
only to have 2 questions at the moment).
The first issue was removing the old brake disk hub. The notes mention
"if you have to use heat". But someone on this list mentioned failing
to get it off with heat and a puller and having to cut it off
instead. I decided to go straight to cutting. I cut about 3/4 of the
way through the hub with a moto-tool cut off wheel. Then I put a
chisel in the slot and was easily able to break the hub in two.
Then there was the problem that Bill sent me the wrong size of
Woodruff key, but I was able to reuse the old one.
More of a problem was that my new brake rod was the mirror image of
the one in the instructions. That by itself would not make much
difference, except I didn't realize it until I had already put the end
of the rod through the brake pedal mechanism the wrong way and put the
pedal back on. Then when I went to remove the pedal again, I
discovered that when you have the pedal with the stop there is no way
to position the pedal so that the pin can be driven out. I had to
drill a hole in the metal at the front of the footrest for the pin to
come out through.
1992 Chevy S10