Re: (ET) E-15 Reverse relay Arcing

All this reverse relay misery might be another answer to the question
someone posed a while ago about why convert to a solid-state controller!

The diode thing can't be used in this case since the purpose of the
reversing relay is to reverse the polarity to the field, which means no
matter which way you put the diode across the field, the diode's going to
be a short circuit in either forward or reverse.

Has anyone tried anything nice and complex, like back-to-back Zener
diodes?  Or a snubber circuit?

>>> Dave & Debbie Barden <daveb seanet com> 5/2/2003 7:40:32 AM >>>
I have an E12 with this same problem.  Admittedly still unsolved.  after
repairing the relay several times it finally fused together beyond repair.

before putting in the Bill Gunn version ($20) I came across the Hosfelt
catalog
that had  some surplus relays of similar specs for $2.00each. I bought 6
(they
were subsequently stolen along with my van but that's another story).  I
burned
up one of those before putting in a fuse in line between the relay and the
field.  now I just blow fuses but all the time.  On the E12 the varistor
($4
from Bill) is behind the lower panel cover jumping the field wires in the
connector.  I replaced it.  A friend of mine thought putting in a diode to
block the electrical surge of the collasping field when the motor changes
direction would help.  It didn't.  I suspect in my case something else is
amiss
but I haven't found it yet.  good luck with yours!

dave
E12S in Seattle