RE: (ET) batterys

On 11 Apr 2003 at 20:32, Humphrey, Timothy wrote:

> ... it seems that Barry is concerned with not "severely" overcharging
> his batteries. I understand that with Floodeds this only causes them to
> use
> more water and does not necessarily damage them.

Overcharging is not as rough on flooded batteries as it is on "sealed"
(VRR)
batteries for only one reason: because you can replace any water lost from
flooded batteries.  Other than that, overcharging is equally damaging for
the reasons I cited.

No question, the GE charger overcharges.  How bad is it?  A well-cared for
golf car battery, carefully charged, should last 750 cycles or more.  If
you
use your ET once a week, that would be 15 years!  ET batteries usually
last
about 5-6 years, though, sometimes as much as 7-8 if reduced capacity is
acceptable.

But that's still pretty decent service, no?  ET battery amortization costs

maybe $40 a year.  Not bad.  So one could argue that the GE charger and
its
crude, dumb-lummox timer charge control is perfectly adequate for a
machine
that's going to be used no more than perhaps 50 times a year.

> However,  wouldn't Harry's
> controller provide a sense of peace. Knowing that your batteries will get
> charged, will not get boiled and will be kept topped off.

I'm not so sure.

I didn't realize that it was supposed to ^replace^ the timer.  Such an
installation would be unwise, in my opinion.  Unless I misunderstand how
Harry's gadget works, it's a battery maintainer, not a true charge
controller.

Charge control is not an exact science, believe it or not; but some useful

strategies have been worked out over the many years that people have been
using lead acid batteries.  They vary from crude to pretty sophisticated.

        1. Dumb timers: The user estimates how much energy has been used
from the
battery, and sets the timer for roughly the amount of time needed to
replace
it.  Normally the charger also has some crude form of current limiting
(typically just the resistance of the transformer, diodes, and wiring).
This method is used in the simplest golf car chargers from Lester, Hobart,
and the like.

        2.  Simple constant voltage (regulated or taper charging):
Sometimes used
in conjunction with the above scheme.  Output voltage is limited to
prevent
gross overcharging.  This can be: a ferroresonant transformer and
capacitor
circuit, as used in the GE charger; some kind of electronic regulator, as
in
the wall wart chargers for hedge trimmers and such; or a "cycle-dropping"
controller, as in those blinking-LED automotive battery chargers.

        3.  IU:  Constant current until a threshold voltage is reached,
indicating
80% charged; then constant voltage until the current falls below a
threshold; then shutoff.  Generally the threshold voltage and current
require adjustment for battery temperature, which is often done
automatically with temperature sensors.  They should also be adjusted as
the
battery ages, which can be (but seldom is) done under microprocessor
control.  The Zivan chargers usually use this scheme or the following one.

        4.  IUI: Same as IU above, with an additional low-current constant
current
phase added before shutoff.  This extra phase provides cell equalization,
and is limited by some combination of on-charge voltage and/or time.

        5.  dV/dT: Constant current until a threshold voltage is reached,
followed
by a lower constant current charge maintained until the rate of on-charge
voltage rise (dV/dT) falls below some value.  This is the scheme used by
Lestronic chargers for a good 25 years.  It has the advantage of requiring
little or no adjustment for battery temperature and age.

Harry's controller doesn't exactly implement any of these algorithms,
although it appears to be somewhat similar to the cycle-dropping (C-D)
method.  Let's look a little more closely.

A C-D controller charges at whatever current the charger can manage until
the on-charge voltage hits its limit. Then it shuts off and waits for the
voltage to fall.  When the voltage falls to some minimum value, it turns
the
charger on again.  The effect is to provide gross voltage regulation at
the
high voltage limit.

Instead of limiting voltage as the C-D controller does, Harry turns on the
charger and runs it for a fixed length of time -- 5 minutes.  Then he
shuts
it off, waits for the voltage to fall, and repeats.  The low voltage limit
is more important to his scheme than the high limit (in fact there is no
high voltage limit except that imposed by the charger's output).

It's described this way: "If the battery voltage drops below 38 volts, the
controller turns on the charger for approximately 5 minutes. Then it turns
off the charger until the voltage again drops below 38 volts."

Harry's device looks like a pretty effective alternative to a float
charger
for maintaining older batteries that are to be unused for a period of time
--
 for example, when you store the tractor for the winter.  But I am not so
sure that it would be a good choice as the only charge controller.

In theory it doesn't sound too far off.  It should cycle so that the
charger
is on most of the time at first, with the off cycles gradually becoming
longer.

My concern would be -- and understand that I haven't tried it -- that it
would have at least part of the disadvantage of a float charger.

A float charger is great for maintaining batteries at full charge (mostly
compensating for self-discharge).  It's a good choice for standby
applications such as computer UPSes.

But in a cyclic application (like ours), a float charger's voltage is too
low to fully charge the batteries in a reasonable period of time.  At
float
voltage it can literally take ^weeks to months^ to charge a battery from
about 80% to 100%.  This is obviously not good.

It's not clear to me that Harry's controller fully overcomes this float
charging limitation.   It appears to me that, ^if used as the sole charge
controller^, Harry's controller would undercharge the pack unless you
allowed a long time between uses of the machine.

How about battery life?  Harry says:

"I have had 2 in trouble free service now for 11 years each on an E8 and
an
E12. My battery sets have both been changed once, at about 6 years. I only
need to add water once per season. They have also kept the batteries
charged
properly over the winter."

I might point out that 6 year battery life is about the same as one can
expect with the GE charger.  But I do think the device has some utility as
maintainer, as he points out.  However, I say again:  You don't need a
maintainer with batteries unless they are to be stored for several months
and/or they are fairly old and subject to high self-discharge.  If that
matches your situation, then Harry's controller could be a good choice to
keep the pack in good shape while it sits for a month or more.

But if I got one, I wouldn't use it to ^replace^ the timer.  Instead, I'd
connect it ^in parallel^ with the timer's switch contacts.  I'd use the
timer to charge the pack after using the tractor, then let Harry's
controller maintain the pack.  But -- I'd probably still pull the charger
plug if I were going to use the tractor again in a week or two.

Just to be clear her, I'm not "dissing" Harry's controller.  I think it's
an
interesting and well thought out design which has a useful application.  I
just am not so sure I'd want to use it in place of the GE's timer as the
only charge control.

Now, maybe others here have experience that shows how well it works as the
sole charge controller.  I would urge anyone who has one, has it connected
as recommended, and has monitored its workings to post the results.  How
long does it keep cycling before the off time gets to be, say, several
hours?  Hours?  Days?  Weeks?  How long does it take to bring the pack up
a consistent, fully equalized, 1.280 to 1.300 SG?

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all

thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.

Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion

Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
                                -- Harper's Index, April 2002