From: David Roden (Akron OH USA) [mailto:roden ald net]
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 3:49 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) batterys (sulfation and self-discharge)

On 11 Apr 2003 at 15:01, Barry Woods wrote:

> improper recharging can cause sulfating of the
> batteries.

Correct.  But IMO sulfation is not as common a failure mechanism as is
usually thought.  It's a pathological condition that results from a
failure
to recharge promptly after using the batteries, from long periods of
disuse,

or from chronic undercharging.

Understand that lead sulfate formation is normal.  It forms as the battery
discharges, but the lead sulfate is almost 100% reconverted to lead by the
chemical reaction of charging.  However, if the battery sits in a
discharged

state for several months, or if it self-discharges over a period of a year
or more, the lead sulfate crystals that form on the plates become larger
than normal because of the very slow discharge reaction.  These are harder
to reconvert to metallic lead during charging, and are more likely to
break
off, than the smaller crystals formed in normal use.

Some people swear by them, but I find no verifiable scientific evidence
that

the expensive "pulse desulfators" do anything more for the battery than
simple low current equalization charging would do.  Personally, I think
they're a waste of money.  But as I say, some people obviously don't agree
with me.

Using your ET and then forgetting to recharge the batteries is definitely
not a good thing.  Letting it sit over the winter is not as bad.  In
general

self-discharge is not a problem for a battery only a year or so old; it
can
sit for 4-6 months uncharged, untouched, and unloved withou suffering much.

However, self-discharge increases as a battery ages, so some kind of
maintaining scheme becomes more appropriate after, say, 2-5 years of
battery

use.

A float charger is essentially a regulated constant-voltage charger
operating at float voltage (2.2 volts per cell).  But Harry Landis's
controller is not a float charger.  Instead, it monitors the battery
static
voltage and turns on the ET charger for 5 minutes if it drops below a
certain point (default is 38 volts).

Some people use them and seem to like them.  The Landis controller appears
to be useful if you have old batteries and let your tractor sit for weeks
or

months at a stretch.  IMO you don't need one if your batteries are fairly
new, or if you can remember to plug in the charger for a quarter-hour or
so
once a month.

In regular use, chronic undercharging is seldom a problem with ETs.
Unless
you have a problem with the capacitor, the GE charger generally errs on
the
side of overcharging.

So do most chargers.  IMO more batteries are killed by overcharging than
by
undercharging.  Overcharging causes positive grid corrosion.  The most
obvious symptom of this is battery case swelling.  I have a few old
batteries so badly afflicted by this that their positive posts are
actually
pushed upward 3 or 4 mm.  These batteries are good only for use in the
weight box.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all

thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.

Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion

Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
                                -- Harper's Index, April 2002