Re: (ET) manuals for electracs

A few thoughts about the scanning project.  I am all in favor of the widest
distribution of service information, and the idea of a scanned "library"
has
much merit, but there might be a few things to kick around before firing up
the scanner:

I thought about (and the group discussed) this project many moons ago.  For
me the killer was my lack of a large dimension scanner and the purchase
price of Adobe software.  While the Adobe reader is free, their scan and
layout software is not.  That seems to be the universal document
transmission standard, and it makes sense to use it.  A standard must be
established for preserving and distributing the documents.

I was just thinking of scanning the ET user's service manual, but this has
some pretty critical foldout schematics (kinda like Playboy centerfolds for
the ET set...) that require at least a legal size scanner bed to deal with.
Be sure the hardware can handle all the issues!

In addition, the ET owner's service manual is sold by Bill Gunn, and there
was a real concern about undermining his ongoing support for ET owners by
putting it out there for a free download.  In addition, there is the
question of copyright.  As I recall, Bill has the copyright to at least the
owner's service manual (or did have).