RE: (ET) walk behind electric tractor?

Before you get too excited, it's 1/2 hp folks.  Rule of thumb; an electric
motor can replace a gas engine of twice it's hp (assuming the electric hp
is 'honest'...) so it should be equivalent to a 1 hp tiller... hmm... too
wimpy for much work.  The smallest Troy-Built Pony is 3.5 hp I think.  The
reason of course is that the cells are pretty small to charge anything.
BTW, many electric hp ratings are trash; Sears is probably the worst.  I
have used a '4.5 hp peak' saw that was 12 Amps at 110v.  Now 12A * 110v =
1320 watts.  760 watts is 1 hp IF everything is perfect; it isn't.
Typically it takes 1000 electrical watts to produce 1 hp for small AC
motors.  They claim the peak wrong; they use peak voltage * peak current
(you are only entitled to use RMS values unless you can manage square-wave
current) and STILL don't get those numbers.  They take that value, add in
the inertia of the motor to stall ('brake' hp, sort of) and factor in
that, then they round up.  That 4.5 hp pe!
ak sears saw is probably 1 to 1.2 hp.  Now I expect this tiller is really
an HONEST 1/2 hp, but it is still a bit wimpy to do serious work.  The GE
big tiller runs 70 A at 36 V continuously, and the breaker trips at 100 A
at 36 V after a few minutes (you can go way over 100 A for over a minute
though) so I get around 3500 watts; still only about 4 to 5 hp, which
compares very well to an old Sears tiller I had behind a tractor of the
SAME width that used an 8 hp gas engine; the old 2-1 rule.  I don't know
the rating of the little GE tiller.

Larry Elie