RE: (ET) charger voltage

Jeff,
The reason you're seeing an odd voltage across the diodes is that when
operating as rectifiers there's AC on one side of the diode and DC
(battery voltage) on the other.  So a DC meter sees the usual .6 volts for
half the AC cycle while the diode is conducting, but then sees a 42-volt
high half of a sine wave during the other half of the AC cycle when the
diode isn't conducting.

To test the diodes DC drop you'd need to remove them from the charger and
run a nice DC load thru them, like maybe a headlight fed from a 12V
battery...Bob

>>> "Jeff Tickner" <JeffT softlanding com> 1/6/2003 11:31:18 AM >>>
So the voltage drop across the diodes is normal when not connected to the
pack? I expected to see 42V and that it would drop when I connected the
pack. The manual says 40V is OK but doesn't say where, before or after the
diodes...

Jeff Tickner
Technical Support
800-545-9485, Ext 536
SoftLanding Systems

"Elie, Larry (L.D.)" <lelie ford com>
Sent by: owner-elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
01/06/2003 10:47 AM