From: Jeff Tickner [mailto:tickners valinet com]
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 7:21 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) help

Tractor update, I put the charger on until I was seeing 42V and checked
my connections.
I use some stuff from Caig Labs to prevent corrosion that seems to be
holding
up well. Anyway I guess my motor is going bad.

So I put the speed control forward and L contactor stared clicking, but
the
motor started going intermittantly too, and then the contactor stopped
clicking
and the motor was going. SO I pulled back the speed control and tried it
again
and it worked after some clicks but when I pulled back the speed control
the
motor stayed on. I thought I must have welded the L contactor shut so I
turned
off the key and the motor still stayed on (the key switch usually does
work).
I finally popped the main disconnect and that stopped it.

But I had to play with it so I pushed the main disconnect in and out and
the
motor turned on sometimes, and sometimes it didn't, and then the motor
stayed
on WITH the main disconnect OUT. I still had the charger plugged in so I
pulled
the plug and that stopped the motor.

So I would guess I welded the L contactor shut, I guess the key wouldn't
affect
that. The motor must need some work, maybe new brushes?
and that creates a big load?
creates a very high power requirement for starting?
I would guess I need to spend some quality time with the tractor looking
over
the wiring. Is there a wiring diagram that shows every wire and where it
should
go?

I don't have a garage so I'll be laying in the snow pulling my motor and
checking
my wiring, oh joy. Thanks for the help so far, any additional advice
would be
appreciated!!!