Re: (ET) Electrolyte circulation

I remember quite a few experiments with electrolyte circulation in the 70s
and 80s.  It helps because at high discharge currents the chemical
reaction
takes place right at the surface of the battery plates and tends to
deplete
the electrolyte concentration there.  Forced circulation keeps fresh
reactants where they need to be.

Most attempts used some kind of mechanical pump.  A couple of intruiging
variations were tried.  One scheme bubbled air into the bottom of the
cells.

Another had the cell interconnects in the bottom; they were deliberately
undersized so as to generate heat, which was supposed to provide some
electrolyte circulation through convection currents.  This was in one of
Bob
Aronson's versions of his so-called "lead cobalt" batteries.

I think the problems (with mechanical circulation) were mainly the
complexity and cost.  Also, today many of the problems of diffusion of
reactants have been greatly ameliorated by AGM (absorbed glass mat)
batteries, which don't have any free electrolyte, and which usually have
their plates very close together and under pressure.

> Advantages
> of recirculation could include keeping all batteries at the same
> temperature by heating or cooling the electrolyte and
> filtering out any precipitate from the solution and
> probably reducing the frequency of equalizing charges.

Temperature regulation is probably more easily carried out with liquid
jackets, as is done on some of the high-performance nicad and nickel metal
hydride modules used in prototype EVs.

Filtering precipitate is an interesting idea and possibly a useful one.

I don't think recirculation would help much in reducing equalization
frequency - - you can't really share electrolyte among cells, and if you
did
(say when the battery was idle) that wouldn't equalize the state of charge
on the plates, only in the electrolyte.

> In an emergency, a quick "charge" could
> be had by replacing the electrolyte (shortening battery
> life, though).

Same problem as immediately above.  It's worse than just shortening the
life; it ruins the battery.

The electrolyte concentration of a battery is in balance with the amount
of
active material in the plates.  When you over-concentrate electrolyte in a
discharged battery, you force the plates to try to match the new
"capacity."

They over-discharge and are permantly damaged.  Not good.

BTW, you make a battery that lasts a long time by doing the opposite --
you
deliberately make the electrolyte weak ("starved electrolyte").  This
reduces the usable capacity, so that when the user runs it all the way
down
it's like only discharging a normal battery to 80%.

> A low tech solution would
> be letting the batteries charge and warm up in a warm
> garage or using battery heaters (or heat from the
> elec-trac charger) to warm the batteries
> while charging.

An excellent solution!  Batteries can hold their heat for a long time
because of their mass, so insulation helps if you operate them daily or
nearly so. Their own internal resistance keeps them warm when charging and
discharging.

However, if they sit for several days between cycles, battery heaters can
be
very helpful.

A warm garage is obviously helpful but it takes a fair bit of energy.
It's
more efficient to deliver the heat right to where it's needed, using
battery
heaters.  Several types have been used, the most common being pads under
the
batteries.  I rather expect that some of the electrolyte circulation
experiments included some temperature regulation, though I don't recall
for
sure.

A liquid jacket might again be very useful, as it is for cooling nickel-
based batteries (above), which love cold but don't like heat.

I heard of an interesting scheme using coconut oil poured into EV battery
boxes -- it changes state from solid to liquid at just over 80 deg F,
IIRC,
which happens to be almost the ideal temperature for lead batteries.

> A very high rate of charge might be accepted
> by the batteries if the electrolyte is kept at an
> ideal temperature.

Actually, batteries can be charged about as fast as they can be
discharged,
until they reach 75-80% charged (then you have to cut back).  If they
don't
need cooling during discharge, they don't need it while bulk-charging.

For extremely high rate charging (in the thousands of amperes),
electrolyte
cooling might be useful.  But most people who are experimenting with high-
rate charging are using AGM batteries (as above), which can accept and
deliver enormous currents and don't have any free electrolyte to
circulate.

> The specific gravity could be monitored
> for all the batteries on a continuous basis for very
> precise state of charge monitoring.

Very interesting!  Measuring state of charge during use is a long-standing
problem with batteries.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all

thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.

Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion

Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
                                -- Harper's Index, April 2002