(ET) Electrolyte circulation

Hey Dave Roden and Jim Lynch
    Thanks for the battery care explanations. I have another thought to
throw
into the mix.

    Approximately 15 years ago, I read a short article in a magazine (it
may have
been Machine Design, one of my favorites though I am an electrical type)
about a
guy who had converted a small car to electric power. The unique thing I
remember
is that he had implemented acid circulation to the batteries. This was
done by
small DC pump motors and inserting small plastic tubing into the bottom
and top
of each battery. Apparently gravity affects the charged particles. I don't
remember if anything was said about this reducing irreversible sulfation or
extending battery life. He reported that driving time was significantly
increased
because of the increased charge capacity of the batteries. I have never
heard any
more about this being done in the use of batteries. The idea either didn't
spread
or didn't actually work as well as reported.
    If it works, even a little bit, all of us EV people should be using it.
    Does anyone have any information or thoughts on this circulated
electrolyte
principle?

Bill Alburty in KC
E12, Laher golf cart