Re: (ET) Hoping To join Your Group

On 18 Oct 2002 at 9:10, SSemicon aol com wrote:

> hey have
> been in service for 3 years now, & despite the heavy use I give them, I
> have
> yet to ever have to water them. This Is due to the fact that because I
> use
> very little current through any battery taps, consequently I never have
> had
> the need to equalize the battery bank.

Welcome to the list!  I look forward to hearing more about your machines.
don't quite know what you mean by "I would like to join your group, but
for
some reason have not been able to do so through the traditional methods."
I'm pretty sure that if you can send mail to us, you can receive it.  If
you
receive only one copy of this email, write me back and I'll try to help
you
"get connected."

I beg to differ with you to some extent on batteries.  Granted, there's a
certain amount of "religion" where batteries are concerned.  What follows
is
my "sermon," which is based on quite a few years of using lead batteries
in
road EVs -- a significantly more strenuous application than Electraks.

Equalization is essential for any battery, even a single battery.  Not
tapping the pack is a good thing, but it doesn't prevent unbalanced cells.

Manufacturing tolerances are far from perfect, and cells differ even in a
single battery, so with use they will always get out of balance.  The more
batteries (and cells), the more this happens.

Flooded batteries that are discharged equally usually don't need to be
equalized on each cycle, but they should be equalized about every 5-25
cycles (determine this experimentally -- depends on use, manufacturing
tolerance, and age).

Gassing and water usage are normal when charging a lead battery.  The
absorption phase of charging will gas a battery because the voltage
required
to attain a full charge exceeds the gassing threshold.  At this voltage,
the
water breaks down into hydrogen and oxygen.

Flooded batteries should be finish-charged at a regulated voltage of 2.4
2.45 volts per cell, until the current falls to 1/20 to 1/40 of the 20h
amp-
hour capacity expressed in amperes.  During this phase, the cells will be
gassing freely.  Many VRR (valve regulated recombinant) batteries will
require a lower finish current to prevent venting and consequent loss of
water, but they still must gas.

If equalization is required, the current should be held at this level for
several hours or until the voltage stops rising.

If you have not needed to water your batteries in 3 years, you are almost
certainly undercharging them.  They will eventually degrade from
sulfation.
But at least they aren't likely to fail from overcharging!

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all

thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.

Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion

Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
                                -- Harper's Index, April 2002