[Fwd: Re: (ET) '52 electric Porsche - GE prototype]

I think this was supposed to go to the list instead of just me:
Jim

Maybe it is.  The Electrak was designed from electric cars that GE had
made.
The cars used an AMC body.  They had a top speed of 40mph and would only
run
for two hours.  Then they needed an overnight charge.  The selling price
would have been about $40,000.  They were way too heavy, because of the
batteries and charger.  That's when GE decided that a garden tractor
could
make use of the weight for traction.  We had four of the cars in a
warehouse
in Scotia, NY.  Our general manager kept reporting to the division that
we
were making progress on the cars, but no one was doing anything with
them.
This was in 1970.  If someone had a Porsche, none of us knew anything
about
it, but it's possible.  If it is a Porsche, you would probably be better
off
putting a gas engine in it.
Bob Hemingway