(ET) Solid state controls

Here's a request to all who may have some information on it. I want to
make some
electrical improvements to my E12 which I think most Elek-trac owners
would also
want. These are things GE would probably have done if they'd had today's
technology in 1970:

1. A solid state speed control. This could supply 3 discrete speeds as
now, or
with more extensive wiring changes it could give smooth continuous
infinitely
variable speed change. Relays could be eliminated.

2. LCD voltage readouts (bar type, where the length of the bar is
proportional to
volts) for each battery. One cheap variety is used on the packaging of
small
throw-a-way batteries ( sizes D, AAA, etc.). I envision a small 6-bar
array on
the dash. It would supply a lot of info: individual battery voltage in
comparison
with the other 5, load and no-load and during charging. A 7th could
indicate
total voltage of the six batteries. Bad cables and terminal connections
would be
more obvious. These could be always connected since very little current is
drawn.
It would replace the so-called fuel gage.

I'd like to hear some thoughts and suggestions and parts source references.

Thanks.....Bill Alburty