From: Christopher Meier [mailto:mr23 mn rr com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 10:10 PM
To: Pestka, Dennis J; elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Battery Question

You'll want to find out what the peak and average current draw is.
How many watt-hours are used in a run (including staging, burnout,
and return if under power)?
Find out what the designed voltage is for the ignition input.
I don't know what dragsters run for ignition.

Then choose batteries etc to maintain the voltage, with enough
capacity.  For example, a solar charge controller powered by
2 8-volt deep cycles, charging a small 12v battery at say 14.2v.
Ignition runs off the 12v (nominal), 'always' charging at 14.2v.
Choose the solar controller power rating to be at least 50% over
the peak current draw of the ignition.  A small gel cell could
be the12v battery, located very close to the ignition system
(for least voltage drop), and the larger 8v batteries can be
conveniently placed.

Besides a charge controller, a low voltage EV controller
(the small curtis units, or a 4qd, diverse, or whatever) could
be used instead.

If I was still running circle track, that's what I'd be doing...

-Chris