(ET) Support arm came apart

When I backed up recently with my E12, the deck caught on something and
pulled
the left support arm apart. The half inch rod and with the spring came out
of the
plunger part of the arm. I haven't taken it apart yet  and don't have any
mechanical drawings in my copy of the manual. How is the rod supposed to be
stopped from pulling clear out like that? Is there something like a fat
washer
with a drive pin on the rod end inside the plunger? The aft end of the
plunger is
welded closed.
Bill A.