(ET) Re: Tiller cord

Tom:
Yep, its a #3. I know because its much bigger than the other two and that is why the mounting stud was broken. The wire was too big for the clamp. I think in a stove cord, you have 2 leads which are 220 between them and a common (not ground) that is 110 to each lead. The common is than servicing 2 hot leads. I'm not an electrician, but I did sleep at holiday Inn once!
John

From: "Kuffa, Thomas" <tkuffa carlisletire com>
To: <goodguyforsure hotmail com>
Subject: Tiller cord
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:50:32 -0400

John,

Are you sure that 3 ga. wire is not an 8 ga. instead? Typically range cords consists of two #6 (power conductors) and one #8 (ground wire). On most power cord assemblies, the grounding wire size is equal to, or as you get into the larger conductor sizes, one wire size smaller.

Tom Kuffa
Carlisle, Pa.