RE: (ET) "42 volt systems"

Neil, Steve, everyone:  I am very familiar with the 'coming' 42V systems.
It was WAY oversold here at the automakers for about a decade but is still
coming.  I say oversold because it was touted as a 'more efficient
system'.  Well, the wiring harness will be lighter.  That's about it.  It
really is just a way for some controls people to put in a bigger
alternator.  Seriously, any magnetic-field delivering device is limited by
the product of the current and the number of turns of wire.  If you have
more voltage, you can use less current, but then you use more turns of
wire.  It is a zero-sum gain to within a fraction of a percent.  That
said, the wiring harness can be made lighter at a higher voltage, and the
power electronics are lighter and cheaper.  Yes, it 'enables' electric
valve train, etc.; but only in that we can now afford the electronics.
Yes, you can make a cheaper starter-alternator; but if you want to pay for
the tooling you could before.  Chrysler did it on a !
6V system in the 1930's.  Our alternators are 50-60% efficient because
they are CHEAP TO MAKE that way.  My bet is our 42V alternators will still
be 50-60% efficient because they will be CHEAP TO MAKE that way.  We can't
go much beyond 130A at 14V because the wire is too heavy to bend at
production levels.  THAT'S why we are upping the voltage.

That said, there will be 42V chargers on the market soon.

Cynically,

Larry Elie