(ET) E-15 successfuly acquired!

I just got back from New Jersey with an E-15, mower, blade, and cart.
The seller was the original owner, who used the tractor until the
batteries died several years ago.  He then removed the batteries (hooray)
and stored the machine indoors (hooray again).  The tractor looks to be in
quite good shape; he clearly took good care of it.  He even has the
original manuals, but he accidentally left them at his new house, so he
will be mailing them to me.

I'm planning to start with a set of used batteries, and get new ones once
the machine's been shaken down.  But what should/can I do before I get the
batteries?  It seems to me that checking the function of the controls,
relays, etc might be good.  Can the machine be powered from the charger?

Thanks to all the people on this list who offered encouragement and
advice.  You're a great bunch!

Steve Gaarder