Re: (ET) Converting a gasoline lawnmower

John:  I did a conversion on a 26" Snapper mower with an 8 hp gas motor.
My
first attempt was to mount a 1.5 hp series wound 36 v motor in the
location the
gas motor was; it worked, but was under powered.  A 2.0 hp series wound
motor
did a better job.  The electrical engineers I talked to suggested a 4:1
conversion factor (4 gas hp = 1 dc hp) which seemed about right to me.  The
biggest problem was figuring out a good way to position the 3 12 v marine
batteries on the chassis.  I got mowing run times of about 45 minutes; 6 6v
batteries with higher amp hr ratings would extend that, of course.

I decided for this experiment that I'd run the motor full speed and manage
ground speed through the existing transmission (Snapper's transmission is a
piece of engineering elegance!).  Worked fine for me.  Cost of motor
controllers
far outweighed the slight loss of run time I suffered by full speed mowing.
Mounting and powering one motor was simpler than two, and I didn't see a
real
advantage to the two motor system for my application.  For a riding mower,
rather than a general purpose tractor, the mower is usually in use so the
motor
usually runs at full speed anyway.  Most of the work the motor has to do
is spin
the mower blades; propulsion takes less work (mower engineers told me they
estimate that 2/3 of engine power goes to mower; 1/3 to moving the
machine).
Good luck on your project!

JRG

--