-----Original Message-----
From: owner-elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
[mailto:owner-elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu]On Behalf Of Bob Murcek
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 8:17 AM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: RE: (ET) 36v bulbs

I'm not sure if the effect will be as great with a small bulb like that for
the dash as with larger bulbs, but the cold and hot resistance of a bulb
can
be dramatically different.  I.e., measuring the bulb's cold resistance may
give you an unrealistically low reading that would cause you to make the
resistor way too small.

If you know or can measure the bulb's current draw, it would be safer to
calculate the hot resistance by dividing the operating current into 12V.

>>> "SolidTech" <SolidTech qwest net> 5/6/2002 9:51:13 AM >>>
Another slightly different approach.  If you move the battery tap from B6+
to B2+ you change the lighting voltage from 12v to 36v.  Then from the
schematic the headlights and dash light are all currently in parallel.  So,
you can use the 36v bulbs for the headlights and put a resistor in series
[R(s)] with the dashlight bulb to keep it at 12v.  To do that, just measure
the dash light's resistance [R(dl)] - then:

I(dl) = 12 / R(dl)

R(s) = 24 / I(dl)

- - joe
Joseph Rock