RE: (ET) chargers

Just a comment related to using a PWM controller intended for a series
motor for an ElecTrak.  I think all the Electrak motors are compound
wound, which means they do have a "small" series field at least.  Perhaps
this is adequate to meet the inductance requirement for current limiting.

>>> "SolidTech" <SolidTech qwest net> 5/1/2002 6:53:42 PM >>>
OK... I know this has been discussed before, but there's a 36V motor speed
controller on eBay as well.  It is a PWM model.  I have an E-15 and it has
the separate connections for the armature and the field (to enable field
weakening in the higher speeds).  The controller only has two connections
(+
and -) for the motor.  So, to use this type of controller what happens to
the field weakening - just not used?  And if that is the case, then is the
top speed just not as fast?  What effect would that have on the lower
speeds
in terms of power production - better or worse?  Could an "overdrive" be
added that would engage some field weakening once the highest speed was
reached on the controller?

thoughts?
- - joe
E-15 in Colorado