(ET) Re: New I-5 purchased on EBAY in excellent shape

Hi, All ET fans.

I purchased the I-5 that was on sale on EBAY.

After reading the comments last week on this board, I sent the seller
several emails, asking about the tractors, and why he had no EBAY
points.

 "Smitty" is 71, and has been using an E-12 for over 30 years.  One of
 his friends who was a lawnmower dealer passed away and he is selling
 some of the ETs that had been sitting in a warehouse for 30 years.
 He has never tried to sell on EBAY before - but he absolutely had the
 merchandise!

 Mine had never had batteries installed.  The I-5 owner manual was
 still shrink-wrapped!  I also got the I-5 front bumper and the rear
 hitch that has a spring loaded pin.

 I bought some Sam's Club 6V batteries on Friday and drove from my
 home near Houston, TX to Abilene - 400miles - on Saturday morning,
 talked to Smitty about five hours, loaded up my new ET and drove back
 Saturday afternoon!

 Smitty had five I-5s in good to great condition - mine was the best :)
 and two E-12s.  He had a buyer for two of the I-5s, one of which had
 the GE Fork-Lift attachment, the other had a Craftsman Dozer blade
 with Smitty's welding modification to adapt to the ET.  He also had a
 couple of used mower decks that were also spoken for.

 We used the GE instructions and loaded the new batteries into the I-5
 using the "bags" and plastic covers with battery hold-down brackets.

 Turned it on - showed in the green for 'fuel'.  Tried the headlights,
 front lift and horn - all worked.  The seat switch seemed to give us
 a little trouble at first, but putting a temporary shim above it
 seemed to work.

 Drove around - my first time on a working ET - it was a real blast.

 I have digital pictures I'll be posting (hopefully on Don Barry's
 excellent ET website) and I scanned the 'brand new' I-5 owners manual
 so that can be posted too.

 My next project is to put the used mower deck I got from Bill into
 operation with the small mower motors he rebuilt for me a couple of
 years ago when I got my E20 project tractor.

 Also found it to be no problem to transport the I-5 in the back of a
 small Nissan Frontier pickup.  I bought the Fulton folding aluminum
 ramp in Lowe's Hardware.  The ramp works best with the pickup and
 ramp on level ground.  We loaded the I-5 with the ramp almost level
 and the pickup backed into a slope.  The spacing of the 'rungs'
 allows the front tires and rear tires to both get 'caught' at the
 same time.  I pushed a little and Smitty drove the tractor onto the
 pickup bed.  When I unloaded I had no problem driving the tractor off
 and onto a driveway.

 Also thought the nifty Rubbermaid Sliding Lid Storage Building for
 riding mowers would fit the ET - it fits perfect.  I even had room to
 slide the mower deck alongside the mower (haven't mounted the motors,
 though).

 Monty McGraw
Spring, TX

 '81 Sebring Electric Postal Van (Comutavan)
'88 Pontiac Fiero that I converted to electric in 1995
'70's GE E-20 Elec-trak still being rebuilt :(
'70's GE I-5 Elec-trak in brand new condition, works great!