(ET) Steering Wheel for E-15 (3/4" d. shaft)

I have made a great modification to my E-15 by changing the steering wheel.
I found a Snapper semi-rectangular wheel (Snapper number #51941) that fits
perfectly on my E-T and feels great.  The large width of the wheel reduces
the steering effort by at least a third and the large grip size (over 1"
d.)
is so much easier to grasp than the stock wheel.  The rectangular shape
allows the large dimension of the wheel not to interfere with seat access
on
entry or exit.  I paid a premium price ($50) for it because the shop where
bought it sent a man outside with me to look around at the tractors they
had
on hand to find a wheel that would fit.  I'm almost certain the part could
be had for much less money with a little effort.  Labor to replace the
stock
wheel is minor where most of the effort is to knock out the roll pin that's
been there for 30 years.  I used an alan key socket that was about the size
of the roll pin on a 3/8" drive breaker bar and a dead-blow hammer.

I mowed with it yesterday and so did my wife, who can now enjoy the
driving.
It is so easy to use, I was steering one-handed much of the time.  For me
that's a big plus because the throttle and direction controls are mounted
on
the right side of the control panel and require constant manipulation when
mowing around obstacles and tight corners.

For those of you whose E-T has a 5/8" shaft, I'm sorry to say I have no
alternative.  But there may be one out there for someone willing to search
it out as I did.

Have a great day,
Andy

PS - I noticed the neighbor walking his dog behind our house giving me a
quizzical look.  I'm sure it was the lack of combustion noise confusing
him!

Andrew G. Poush
GE Industrial Systems
Turbine Controls Engineer
Rm 174 * 1501 Roanoke Blvd. * Salem, VA 24153
ph 540-387-8066 (dc 278-8066) * fax 540-387-7652