RE: (ET) 2 "NEW "electraks on ebay

Lets see what Dwight L Hazen has to say....
>From his web page, him and a friend were lucky to find six in a warehouse
still crated.  Sounds like he didn't have much problems getting them
going...

http://php.ucs.indiana.edu/~hazen/electrak.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Tickner [mailto:JeffT softlanding com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 12:37 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu; owner-elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) 2 "NEW "electraks on ebay

I have to second the "if it really sat in a warehouse" part

The auctions seem a bit suspicious, since the guy doesn't talk about
shipping, or condition of the tractors and only wants a cashiers check.
Every other electrak auction mentions shipping is going to be a pain :-) If
anyone goes for these don't do a wire tranfer of the money thinking it will
be safe. I've been hearing about a lot of wire tranfer fraud, people
getting the check even without the confirmation number, and then not
delivering the goods.

BUT I could be wrong.

                      "Christopher Zach"

                      <czach computer org>              To:      "Chapin,
Tim" <tchapin umich edu>, <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
                      Sent by:                          cc:

                      owner-elec-trak cosmos ph         Subject: Re: (ET) 2
"NEW "electraks on ebay
                      y.tufts.edu

                      04/10/02 12:17 PM

Hm. If it really sat in a warehouse for 30 years....

    It probably has toast in the battery compartment.
    The tires are probably either rotted or destroyed
    The oil in the transmission is probably dinosaur goo
    The belts are probably rotted and flattened
    There are probably either mouse nests or ratnests in the wiring
    The wiring has probably been eaten.

Seriously, I can't see why such a premium would be charged on a 30 year old
"never used" item. Mechanical things that are not used for long periods of
time simply tend to go bad.

Myself, I would prefer a sometimes used well-cared for ET. That would
command the best premium.

Chris