Re: (ET) AGMs in an ET?

Christopher Zach wrote:
> Anyone ever thought of using AGM batteries ... ?

I've *thought* about it...  East Penn has a nice 6-volt golf-cart sized
AGM that I've gotten a price on of $150 each, so $900 for a set.

"AGM is an abbreviation for Absorbed Glass Mat. This is a method of
construction used in some sealed batteries. The mat itself is a
sponge-like material that acts as a medium to absorb the liquid
electrolyte of the battery. Most AGM batteries can be installed in
almost any position." [from Mike Chancey]

AGM's are liked by electric car drag racers as can dish out huge
currents for short times and have a lower Puekart number. The AGMs also
have a much slower self-discharge rate.

NOTE: AGM's should not be confused with "Gel Cells" which are also
sealed, but fairly useless in more demanding applications. These are
what are found in computer UPS's, small wheel chairs, etc.

The major reason I would switch to AGMs would be to eliminate all the
corrosion problems, as sealed batteries won't ooze acid that eats holes
in the battery boxes and frame.

The down side is that it requires a new "smart" charger and the
elimination of all the taps on different voltages, as it is crucial to
keep the AGM's in balance since can't brutally over charge them. A 12
volt dc/dc convertor for the lights is easy to get. An 18 volt dc/dc for
the front (& rear) lift(s) is not so easy to find.

Someday when I get around to cleaning up my ET and replacing the rotted
metal I will also make the switch to AGMs. By then I will hopefully have
a nice strong front lift that runs off the 36 volts.

For now I have leftover flooded's that I'll use up and let the body keep
decaying.

Except on the 3rd hand I'd like to have the set of 6 AGM's as "practice"
for using a large set of AGM's in my truck. So I'm still thinking :-)

_________
Jim Coate
1992 Chevy S-10
1970s Elec-Trak E20