(ET) Mello Yellow

Hello List

Just though I pass this along for what it is worth. As you know I am
restoring my E12M. I am in the process of removing all the paint and it is
coming off pretty quickly I am sand blasting the entire unit myself except
for the frame which I have to farm out because of its size.
        My intention was to use the PPG paint as recommended on the web
page
but I  was convince by the local paint supplier,  that I was taking a
pretty
high end solution for a pretty low end application. He felt that farm
implement paint was actually much better suited the job. As he put it "it's
a tractor so use tractor paint". (got like his logic).
I tried to match the GE yellow to several tractor colours. (Shipping paint
into Canada is not an option. sorry Bill)  New Holland yellow was too
yellow, Caterpillar was too orange, Federal yellow too brown etc. However,
to my surprise and delight yellow Tremclad is a very close match just a
touch lighter.
Tremclad is just about the perfect paint for this job, given that it is
going on to sandblasted metal and there may be a little bit of micro rust
hiding in the seams etc. It is easy to apply, so I can do it myself and it
only about $8 a litre,  it was clearly a very good solution.
But, it gets even sweeter, I am going to prime the entire tractor with
Tremclad gray primer, colour coat it with the yellow and then put a layer
of
Tremcoat clear coat on it. This will give me a very serviceable and rugged
finish.
I'll document the process with photos as I go.

Geof Thompson B. Sc. CLS
No trees were killed in the production of this E-mail.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.
Data Management Engineer
Canadian Hydrographic Service
Central and Arctic Region
867 Lakeshore Road
Burlington, Ontario
Canada. L7R 4A6

Phone (905) 336-4698
Fax (905) 336-8916
E-mail Thompsong dfo-mpo gc ca <mailto:Thompsong dfo-mpo gc ca>