Re: (ET) field weakening on E15 and moving dirt

Well, the weakening control on the E20 is basically nothing more than a set
of resistors in series with the field, bypassed by the not of the throttle
switches for 5-8 speeds. Thus as the throttle is opened up to 5,6,7,8 the
switches are opened and the resistors are effectively "cut in" thus
lowering
the voltage on the field.

The E20 keeps from melting the armature under periods of high load with FW
engaged by comparing the amp current going to the motor's armature using a
small shunt in series with the armature supply line. If the voltage drop
across the shunt exceeds a certain value, it gates a transistor pair which
basically shorts all the resistors in the FW circuit (thus raising the
field
current to full power) which brings the motor to most efficient mode (and
lowers the current draw in the armature).

Side note: When you engage cruise control you're in the most efficient
speed
for that gear. When you accel the CC relay is dropped, and you lose your CC
upon decel. Also in reverse FW is disabled by default. This is a good thing
since the motor would probably blow up if you reduced the field current
with
a reversed armature already. Remember that the compensation windings act as
a bit of a field generator, and when you have an E20 in reverse, the
compensation windings are also reversed (being in series with the
armature).
Thus the compensation windings are acting directly OPPOSITE to the field
current and thus are reducing the overall field intensity. More so under
load; that's why the torque goes bye-bye in reverse: As the armature draws
more current the compensation coils provide a stronger opposing field WRT
the main field. If you ever released a high load in reverse (say the belts
broke) my guess is the motor would explode if there was any FW.

E15's have a more complex FW system; aside from reversing by swapping the
field current (instead of the E20's swapping the armature polarity with 4
big interlocks) I don't know what other advantages there are.

Chris