Re: (ET) Reverse draws a lot of current: Why?

David:

This makes a lot of sense. If there is a series field in there with the
field windings, it would cause the net field to be different in reverse,
and
when under heavy load in reverse (ie: backing up a steep hill) would cause
the effects of the field weakening circuits to be amplified.

As to why the field is down when I floor it, I'll take a look. Perhaps
there
is an interlock or relay that is supposed to engage at speed 1A, however
when I go straight to 7a it doesn't have time to lock down before hitting
5a
(at which point it might not engage since the E20 doesn't power the
switches
for speeds 6,7,8). That could explain the collapse of the field current, as
well as why it only happens in reverse (the interlock would engage in the
forward speeds because 6,7,8 are active in fwd).

Will check into this tonight.
Chris