Re: (ET) Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:30:18 -0500

Take a GOOD look at the paint. The factory paint is about 30 years old. I
remember seeing loads of fine cracks in the original finish. Look hard
under bright light, you'll see them.  As they work through, they turn into
little lines of rust.

PPG says you need to completely remove the old finish, as the base paint
isn't stable anymore.

POR may stabilze rust, but it doesn't stabilze the finish.

Don

>>> <ThompsonG DFO-MPO GC CA> 02/22/02 08:23AM >>>
Hello All

I am come to the list for some advice. I have just started on a ground up
restoration of my E12M. Last weekend dissembled it, so I am down to the
frame. While there is some rust on the frame, it is for the most
superficial.
        Conventional wisdom says sand blasting it,   primer and repaint.
However, Before I go that route, What are the thoughts of all the restorers
on the idea of power washing the frame,  a quick sanding and the applying
POR 15 and then a top coat of Yellow. I can see the pros and cons of both
but would like some outside thoughts.

Thanks
Geof Thompson B. Sc. CLS
Success = being un-noticed
Data Management Engineer
Canadian Hydrographic Service
Central and Arctic Region
867 Lakeshore Road
Burlington, Ontario
Canada. L7R 4A6

Phone (905) 336-4698
Fax (905) 336-8916
E-mail Thompsong dfo-mpo gc ca <mailto:Thompsong dfo-mpo gc ca>