(ET) Jacobsen Electric Mower

For your information, this is a mower for golf greens and uses reel (cylindrical) mowers - just like the old push mowers without out engines.

It is not a zero turning radius mower but will almost but not quite spin on one of the front drive tires - this was to keep from "grinding" the grass during turns.

This machine was designed to cut grass from less than 1/10 inch to about 1 inch, much too short for most yards.  There are no other attachments.

The traction system is a 2HP GE motor and controller on a widened golf car axle (E-Z- GO , also Textron).  It has "two" speeds by virtue of the controller limiting the speed in the low range - i.e. it really only has one gear ratio.  Low speed is 3.5MPH, High is 7MPH.

The mowers are 22" 11 blade reels powered by 1/3 HP, 2200 RPM Pacific Scientific motors.  One of the surplus places in Nebraska was selling the motors a year or so ago.

The unit is very quiet.

These machines were built for a couple of years than replaced with a similar product from Ransomes who was acquired by Textron (Jacobsen).  I believe the replacement is still being built.  Most of this model were scrapped due to poor sales and customer dissatisfaction due to problems in production

I know all of this because I was the electrical engineer on this project.

A comment on fusible links.  I personally don't like fusible links.  They don't control the arcing well and can trash stuff near by.  Fuses are designed to contain and control arc.  They are also a lot easier to replace.

There is a fuse available now which can mount directly to the battery and is rated for 58V from Pudenz (pudenz.com).  They are rated 50 - 300A.  They might be large enough to provide a last resort protection.  If not,  there are forklift fuses, type DIN43560/1, which will be more than large enough from Buss, Littlefuse, Pudenz.

Pudenz also offers some blade type fuses rated 42 -125 volts  (typical automotive fuse are 32 volt) in more reasonable currents. Be careful.  Most fuseholders are only rated for 32V.  I believe this is primarily due to low vs. high voltage classifications, restrictions, and liabilities.

I liked the Electraks when I first saw them as a kid and hope to find one some day.  I currently have a non-production electric riding mower and love it especially for hauling a cart around the yard.  Need to work on the mower noise.

Robert W. Hahn
former Jacobsen/Textron engineer