Re: (ET) It's here...

Congratulations, Chris !

Sounds like you've made all the right moves, so far !  I thought the rust looked like just surface rust, when I saw the picture on E-bay. Looked in good condition, to me. You were fortunate to have the plastic battery bags still intact! That is a very good sign. The only problem I had with corrosion, came from the gassing of the batteries. I had to be very careful, when changing batteries, that the new ones had as good caps on them as the old set. Some caps let way too much fluid get to the vent hole, causing small bubbles to burst at its external surface and splatter on the charger case, the steel cage for the resistors or the bottom of the seat. Sometimes, exchanging the caps from the old batteries, to the new, was the only way to prevent this contamination.

Good luck, and have fun!

Gary

  Christopher Zach <czach computer org> wrote:

Ok, I'm back from returning the truck and dropping off three of the
batteries at NTW. They looked *so* happy when I brought in three ruptured
T105 batts...

Ah well.

The day actually went really really well. Eric came over at about 9, and off
we went in the rented truck ($60 from Enterprise). No problems on the drive
up to NJ, and we spent the entire run discussing electric stuff. It was
without a doubt the fastest trip to NJ yet.

Once there we deployed the ramps and had the tractor on the truck in no
time. The batteries were shot, and at least two had ruptured. However the
tractor not only had the plastic trays, it had the orig plastic wrappers, so
all the evil acid went out the drain hole.

Rust is surface only. I think they piked newspapers on it once, as the top
of the hood is rusted but not the bottom. Also the seat base plate is
cracked where I think they snapped it back somehow. Not a big deal. The body
has almost *no* rust; nothing that a little POR15 can't make go away.

The brakes are exceptionally strong. I looked underneath and there is a
sizeable disc brake on the transmission; bigger than the one on my 16hp
Craftsman.

The deck is in ok shape. Some deep surface rust, but not the end of the
world. All the blades are there (but some twisted slightly) and all the
motors turn (very good). I'll have to clean it before I try powering it up.

It also appears to have a little box that can go on the back. Kind of small
to be a weight box; might be a tool holder or something. I'll have to look
into it.

The drive back was also uneventfull, but there were a *lot* of police cars.
Few tailed me; they might have been wondering what that thing I was hauling
was...

Once home we deployed the ramps and brought the tractor down. Coasted it
downhill into the yard; the seat on this thing is in *perfect* condition.
Any tips on how to keep it that way?

The batteries were a mess. Three were dry; three at least were wet inside.
I've got them on a charger tonight; will see if they suck up any juice or if
they are hopelessly screwed. I thought I could hear bubbling; we'll see (the
batteries are probably 1989 vintage. Or maybe 1969...)

The charger didn't seem to work at first, but it looks like with jiggling of
the main contactor switch it came on. My guess is the main disconnect (and
most of the wires on this thing) are in need of a serious cleaning and some
conductive paste. Any recommendations?

The pedal switch is very very gummy and slow. Any tips on taking the whole
thing apart for a rebuild/overhaul?

Overall this might have been an excellent deal at $500.00. The body is
solid, a lot of it is cast iron instead of stamped steel, and it looks to be
in good shape.

One thought I will need soon is to change the transaxle oil. Is this
difficult? Where are the bolts, and what transaxle oil is recommended in
these things?

And so the adventure begins. Thanks for all the help so far; in a few weeks
I might be able to afford some batteries :-)

Chris

Do You Yahoo!?
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail.