From: "Bob Murcek" <rmurcek geisinger edu>
To: <roden ald net>; <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 22:48
Subject: Re: (ET) Electronic controller

> Yep, my E12 motor is definitely compound, but I wouldn't have known that
if I hadn't had to replace its bearings since the series field is
internally
wired is series with the armature.  (Ordinarily the leads for a series
field
would be externally accessible so that the series field could be reversed
when reversing the motor.)

> The presence of the series field somewhat reduces the danger of the shunt
field not being excited.  I haven't tried it, but I suspect that without
the
shunt field the motor speed would be very unstable, like a sewing machine.
I do paranoidly have things arranged so that full power is applied to the
shunt field as soon as the tractor is powered up, though.

> Since the PWM controller provides fully variable control, and since the
thing is plenty fast enough for my purposes in 4th, I haven't done anything
with field weakening.

> The deal with the series field not being reversed when the motor is
reversed seems weird to me.  This implies that the shunt field is much
stronger than the series field and can therefore overwhelm the series field
to reverse the motor.  This probably means that the tractor doesn't have as
much torque in reverse as it does in forward.  Another indication that the
shunt field is stronger is that I do feel substantial regenerative braking;
ordinarily a series field would reduce this effect.  I'm wondering if a
weak
series field was added just to provide extra oomph when starting out under
heavy load, like plowing.  Anyone know if that's a common motor design
practice?

> Overall the series field is so weak that the motor behaves similarly to a
PM motor.