RE: (ET) (Fwd) Motor Info Wanted

The snow blower and tiller do not use the same motor.  Blower is significantly larger, and my current draw with it is higher.

Larry Elie

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Woodard [mailto:farmallcub57 yahoo com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 7:34 AM
To: Terry Hinkleman; darryl econogics com; elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Cc: electro cruzio com
Subject: Re: (ET) (Fwd) Motor Info Wanted

Terry,

I just went out and pulled the cover off the GE motor on the New Idea snowthrower for my I-5 ElecTrak to see if it was the same motor number as yours. It is.  I have a letter from New Idea dated March 1, 1977, stating that the snow thrower and the rototiller both used the GE motor rated at 2 1/2 H.P. and operates at 3100 RPM. I had inquired this of them at the time because I was using one of the pm mower motors to run my orchard sprayer and it would kick off on hot days, due to the overload temp. switch opening. I was planning on using a larger motor to do it, but the snow thrower motor was a little large for the job, as it will out perform my neighbor's 16 horse wheelhorse thrower! I ended up using a HD mower motor for the job. They were a larger diameter and a little taller.

Hope this helps you. I'm not sure of the temperature rating, however I do know that my motor gets very warm when cleaning out over 200 feet of drifted driveway, even in very cold weather, but that's because of a 400% overload that a DC motor can sustain in heavy work! Warm weather would probably shut it down due to temp.

Gary Woodard

Kenton, Ohio

  Darryl McMahon <darryl econogics com> wrote:

Cross-posting from EV Discussion List. Figure this group knows more about Elec-
Trak motors. Please reply to Terry Hinkelman Twin Lake, MI. n8jkr attbi com