Re: (ET) amps/ uneven loading

On 2 Nov 2001, at 9:44, Jim wrote:

> AMPS and volts (read HEAT or watts) are the big motor killer, not
> voltage. The biggest threat from over voltage is over reving the
> armature, so make sure it has a good load if you over volt it.

Right!  In the on-road EV world we routinely overvolt motors 50%, 100%,
and more with no problem.  However, I should note that usually these are
continuous duty industrial motors, which we are operating
intermittently.  The ET lift motor is ~not~ a continuous duty motor.

That said, I run mine on 24 volts and haven't had a problem (yet).  I use
the double-reduction belt routing for all attachments, even the mower.

In addition to the heat concerns mentioned above, when overvolting you
need to watch out for excessive brush arcing.  This seldom becomes a
problem until you are at double rated voltage or more.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.