From: "Erick Smith" <ees3 cornell edu>
To: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 3:05 PM
Subject: (ET) thinking of purchasing

 I have a small organic farm and would very much like to get an
 electric tractor.  Currently, the new ones (Electric Ox) are too
 expensive, especially when attachments are added on.
 So, getting a GE or a Wheelhorse seems quite attractive.

 I have two questions that i would welcome response to:
 1.  How dependable are these tractors and attachments, given that
 they are 20-30 years old?  will I end up spending a fair amount of my
 time trying to figure out how to keep it running and where to get or
 adapt parts?  (My local Wheelhorse dealer sold several in the 70s and
 really liked them, but warned me away because, he said,  the electric
 parts are no longer available).

 2.  Given the choice between an equivalent GE E20 and a Wheelhorse
 L185, is there any preference for one over the other?  How about with
 other models?

 I'm located in central upstate NY (Ithaca) in case anyone has